Pagina's

Sunday 7 April 2019

Starting over

So, scary title perhaps and I can almost see the individual shivers running down the spine, but I feel good about starting over. I'm not tossing out the project by any means, but I am going for a major code cleanup, so I'm reimplementing the features that I already made.

This weekend I was working on a system to move from scene to scene via doors and I found that many of the things I needed were all over the place in scripts that I needed to copy to the other scenes. Next I needed to find a way to influence the position for the player on return.

That kind of stuff is inevitable when you are learning to work with Unity, but it makes for terrible messes. Now I think is the time to start over and overthink the projects buildup more. I need a new feature, then I need to think about what implementation it gets. Now that I have my Github set up, I can go back, but it'll preferably be to a good basis.

Today, I reset the walking mechanic and the looking around. Next, and I will plan better, I will  implement changing scenes in a generic way. Looking forward to making it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment