Pagina's

Saturday 20 April 2019

North, East, South, West

I already had a mini-map in my old game, but I was not happy with it, because it lacked flexibility to have other objects plug in or not. That's why i decided to rebuild it and make a camera that can only see specific kinds of things: objects with a MiniMap layer.

I put a Camera way over the player object and let it look straight down. It does not actually look for the objects on the ground, but at quad objects, flying in the air. Game development is sometimes just magic, because we're talking about three-dimensional objects that only have one side. Rotate them right and you can draw something on the top side and from the side and the bottom, you can see straight through it. Next, remove all shadow casting and receiving and remove the collider and we're good to go.


I also put NESW markers on the side of the minimap to indicate the direction the player is going. The player always goes upwards on the screen. Now that I'm writing this, I see the markers rotate wrongly. If you're going south, they will be upside down. That I'll fix later this week. 

Now It's time to go to bed. Happy Easter everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment