Pagina's

Thursday 14 March 2019

Side-project: funny 2D RPG

I haven't mentioned this one yet, but I've been working on a new side-project on my slow laptop in the bus. It's about the same stick figure that had to dodge shoppers at Oxford Street, but a bit more interesting and hopefully fun. As I get screenshots of people getting hundreds of points in Oxford Street, I found out it might be too easy, so let's take it up a notch.

I don't have a name yet and in fact, the game is called New Unity Project on my laptop, but it's a kind of 2D RPG that will hopefully interesting enough to have people play it, but light enough not to take it too seriously, because I want to pour some of what people love and hate about me in it: my humour.

The story needs to get fleshed out, but you are a stick figure. In fact, you are the exact same stick figure that made Oxford Street such a great success. Only, you get to meet more than copies of yourself with a hat. There's skeletons (white skinny dudes with strange dashes for ribs), a business consultant trying to ruin your day by turning everything Six-Sigma and there's courtesanes that you can use to lure the skeletons to have a good time.

(And imagine this is 32x32 pixels)


Apart from making the pixel graphics which I like pouring my crazy creativity in, I like the chance to add small additions and make the game funny. My big project is supposed to be a more serious game, this one should just be fun to make and later to play. And it'll have a lot of features that were never in Oxford Street, like a second spacial dimension, combat and references to tripple-A games.

No comments:

Post a Comment