Pagina's

Monday 18 March 2019

Fixing the view

Somehow, in the last weeks, I found out that my player character suddenly looked somewhere else entirely. It did not happen when I were running around in the field with all the room in the world, but it did happen when there was more subtlty needed, like in the maze. Since I was trying to get the quest system to work, I hid a sword in the maze and went looking for it. That was nearly impossible. Imagine walking around a small hallway where all the walls and the ceiling have the same colour and suddenly you stand the other way around. I had to fix that, but that'd be a pain for years to come.

I refuse to use the Standard Assets first player controller because I don't really understand what is happening there and I want to be able to add features later. I need to understand what is really happening, so that I can do that correctly and efficiently. That's why I watched the First Person Controller tutorial by Acacia on Youtube in the beginning to get a good grip and be able to add things later.

I learned a lot, especially about controlling speed and the overall concept that we have two objects to control: the camera and the player himself. This tutorial is really helpful, also fixing a problem for when the ground is sloping downwards, teaching me about raycasts and physics laws that this historian does not even dream about. But somehow it was not working like I wanted it to, so I looked for another tutorial to guide me.


This one was by Holistic3d, a very welcome female voice in this male world of tutorials and a nice and well-explained one. Not sure what made the difference, but it fixes my problems. Now I only had to make sure that I could not look over my head and see the world behind me upside-down. That was easily done by clamping the rotation of the camera. Nice. Now I can carry on with the quests and fix the fact that somehow the inventory does not show up anymore. Enough to do.

Anyway, I also got a github thing to work. Appeared easier than expected. Makes me wanna take a little more risks, because I can always turn back, which is nice for the creativity. 

All in all, a lot of work done and a lot of work to be done in this game.

No comments:

Post a Comment