Pagina's

Sunday 19 May 2019

Do I have this or not?

Alright, before my wife gets to go on the computer, a little update. Yesterday and today, I made some progress in the Inventory GUI. I put quite some thought (and YouTube tutorials) in it but it took me a day to be where I were in the earlier iteration of my game. Now that I am there, let's build.

Like with the dialog/quest boxes, I learned it is easier to keep GUI and mechanics separate, but now that I'm working on the inventory, I see the disadvantages too. Just have a look.



The inventory screen (which needs some visual changes of course), it contains two major parts: the list on the left and the details part on the right. The list part simply lists the inventory, which contains all the objects that the player picks up, or nothing. The part on the right is going to be more flexible, but what it should have now is either nothing(if there are no objects in the inventory), or the top object in the list (if there are). The buttons in the bottom are going to be Use and Drop (or equivalent, like Equip, Eat etc. That's why they don't have text yet).

It seems the display objects have a hard time communicating with the objects themselves. There's dropping mechanics in the actual objects that place the object in front of the camera and remove them from the inventory, but then... Somehow the game does not yet understand which object to work with and when to update the view.

It'll all be fine, but this is not ready by far. I'm probably making a thinking mistake, but you know how it is with thinking mistakes? You're thinking wrong, so they're especially hard to spot. I'll be back working later. Hopefully with a fresh look and it I'm lucky, I immediately see where I botched it. Wouldn't be the first time and certainly not the last either.

No comments:

Post a Comment