Pagina's

Sunday 23 June 2019

Don't mix up

I thought I had it all figured out. It all seemed to work. Yet now I can't see how I could be this stupid. There's a reason why in a tutorial they always implore me not to get behaviour classes and display classes mixed up. So what did I do?

My work, last week, was mostly about creating actions, linking them to an object, triggering them by clicking, a timer with some GUI and the result of the action being there. I put all of that in a display class.

Part of it makes sense, because the button to trigger the action is pressed on the display.  The rest does not. What happened was that it all worked smoothly as long as the object doing the action was selected. You know, selecting an object removes the display of the current selection, including all the unfinished tasks.  That's the problem here.

What I'm now working on is a progress class. The progress class tracks if an action is running, how long it will have to keep doing that, if the action will be done once or multiple times (as in creating 4 of the same  type of unit). And it will finally perform the action in the end. All the display does now is "I'll have one more RecruitWarrior please."

What did this teach me? Not so much. I honestly believed the way I had it was the right way. Testing was mostly to watch the GUI doing its thing, so I never deselected the object until I wanted to check if, when I run a science type action in one barracks, it should not be available in the other.  It was. And in the one one, research stopped.

Well, getting back to the beginning: don't mix up data, behaviour and display.

No comments:

Post a Comment