Pagina's

Tuesday 15 October 2019

They have character

So.  Back in the bus to the office. They say protesting farmers are blocking the roads, so we might be in here for some time. While I don't share their aims and reject the violence they use, they have the right to protest. For now, no right wingers blocking the road. We'll see...

Yesterday evening was quite a productive evening for Holocene. I finished the first version of the starter script. It generates a terrain, populates it with trees and rocks and places the player object at a random position on the terrain.

The player can walk around and discover. When they press the space bar, two or three white capsules appear. While they don't look like it, they'll be your first tribe members.


There will probable be some work to be done left. The characters (I'm calling them characters) are rigged to be able to move around on the terrain with certain constraints like the steepness, but they're generated within a random distance from the player in any direction. This means they could instantiate over the edge of the terrain. That could pose a problem because for now I only have one terrain and I don't want the characters to spawn in the endless void of Unity.

While I'm planning to fix that buy generating a very large or even endless terrain, another issue needs to be fixed anyway. The characters can spawn anywhere and that includes places where the steepness is so high that they can't move and even at the same place as trees, rocks, water or anything else. That'll have to be fixed and I think that should not be a problem.

With that out of the way, I also started the scripting for the characters and their well being. The idea is to have anyone have general health, things like energy, sickness and injuries and a set of needs like hunger, thirst, sleep and the like. These will all be properties of the characters that I'm thinking of how to implement.

Next there will be skills. Any character will have a skill set with skills and their amount of mastery. That'll decide what the guy can do.  I think this will be the next thing I need to lay the groundwork for.

Right now it's time for work in the office. I don't think I'm seeing many tractors blocking the highway this morning. Which is a good thing, but it means this blog is done now.

No comments:

Post a Comment