Pagina's

Sunday 6 October 2019

Procedurally generated frustration

Good morning everyone. I'm in the bus to work again. This weekend was pretty rich in game development. I managed to spend quite some time on the procedural terrain generation course that has had my attention for quite a while now. I learned a lot about Perlin noise and midpoint displacement algorithms and about how top make editor scripts in Unity.

Because I don't want the game to be too complex, I'm not implementing erosion for now. For that reason, I decided to just put all the scripts on my game project and get them to work before removing unneeded stuff and tinkering with the other stuff. It seems to work for a part.


This island is procedurally generated by using a midpoint displacement to generate the heights, a water plain at a certain height level and a couple of textures like grass and rock, which seem to blend too much right now. The white line is an animated shore line and the green stuff at the bottom... those are the trees.

Somehow the trees behave differently than they did in the course, so I must have done something wrong. At 11pm yesterday I decided to delete all the procedural code from my game project (only there) and start  from scratch. I am a lot more at ease with scripts with many methods than with scripts with a few large methods, so I'll have an Awake() with just about ten lines and keep it the way I like and the course teacher does not seem to.

My point is... sometimes you spend a lot of time on something without anything to show for it. Whatever I did, at least I learned from it.  I do now get that annoying feeling that I want to start working on the actual game mechanics instead of vital but secondary stuff like the terrain. I hope I'll ferry this thing working this week, because this way it does not feel like a game.

No comments:

Post a Comment