Pagina's

Wednesday 4 September 2019

Pillaging the amphoras

So, yesterday I was working on a bit of 3D modelling for Holocene. I was frolicking around with Blender and made this amphora.



This amphora tells me I'm pretty happy with my getting better with Blender, because, even though it's not difficult to make an amphora, it does look neat. I also learned that this one was not right and I needed a different way to make it.

The above example is made of a hollow cylinder. This means that it does not have an inside.  Now you can't see that in Blender,  but once you put it in Unity and you point a camera to it from the top, you can see straight through it. I spent over an hour trying to make an amphora that looked like this one, but found the handles on the side difficult,  so I went to bed.

Amphoras also gave me an idea for a new kind of worldobject: storage. Games like Age of Empires have storage buildings, but they don't have a maximum capacity. This means that, with one mill, you can have millions of tons of grain (and deer meat).

Storage objects in Holocene will have a capacity,  so there'll be a change in the delivery mechanism.  If an amphora is full, workers will need to bring their food somewhere else. If all amphoras are full, you can't get more food in your stockpile.

I'm not sure if I will implement bringing mechanisms like in The Settlers where workers bring wood to a building site and so on, but I will include pillaging. Amphoras can be broken, leaving the food to be gathered. This will bring extra options for warfare.

You see it's not fleshed out yet, but the ideas are there and I'll let them simmer for the day until I get to implementing them in the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment