Pagina's

Thursday 19 September 2019

Flint tools, mammoths and game ideas

It's been a couple of days without game development, but not without thinking about it, because a though has been creeping up on me over the last couple of weeks. When I was fiddling around on Blender and making the amphora for the game, when me and my wife went to the prehistoric museums on Santorini and back in the Netherlands, I saw these things and, being an ancient historian with a passion that goes back further than even Civilization I, I think I might be talking Holocene in another direction.

Holocene, as it now is,  is a Real Time Strategy game with units to control etcetera. That might not stay that way, because I don't have any connection with that Worker guy, even if he does his work well. When I made the amphora, I but it in the building category and when I scripted it, something is off. Then I saw the flint tools, bone jewelry and the like at the museum.

I get the feeling I am not expressing all of this right, because it is a feeling I have and English is not my native language but the point may be clear: almost certainly, Holocene will become a different kind of game.

It's not fleshed out yet, but I think I'm going to restart the project again and make the view smaller. We're not having armies of generic guys, but small bands of actual people with names, learning to make  flint tools, hunting animals etc.

I follow a YouTube channel by Dave Frampton who creates his game Sapiens and his project might have influenced me too. I'd urge everyone to watch his project too and maybe play the game when it's ready and I'm not going to copy his project. I do want to thank Dave for both helpfully answering my questions on Twitter and showing me a way to combine my ancient history love and gamedev into something worth putting so much time in.

I'm also thinking about having a YouTube channel too. I like watching devlogs and I might need what we Dutch call "a stick behind the door" to prevent me from wandering to yet another project. Wish me luck!

2 comments: