Pagina's

Sunday 5 January 2020

How to be destroyed properly

Good morning and best wishes for 2020. It's been a while but not so much that I'm getting used to typing 2020 on my computer keyboard with ease. I spent the holidays with the family and the rest of the time with my wife and a bit with some courses and experimenting to get better at gamedevving. Now I think I'm back to business.

I have been up to quite a lot in these courses and experimenting lately. The aim is mostly to get more proficient in the RTS mechanics that I need for my game. I'm going to revisit the procedural world generation later, once I have kind of a game going, so I ditched that, because I was not happy about it anyway.

I also took a look at 2D grids and A* navigation, but that gets slow very quickly once the world is getting any bigger. I think I'll just stick with the 3D Navmesh system for now. I'm not sure what other elements to keep.

Now that I started a new clean sheet project, let me tell you what I did yesterday.  You remember this tree:


This is the acacia tree. It's an object of the Tree class and it can do something. It can get destroyed. Every object of the Worldobject family had hit points and once they run out, the object gets destroyed and other stuff happens. What'll happen it's that once the acacia tree is killed, it'll instantiate a list of objects around itself. Were talking logs and branches. The idea is that a felled tree will add resources like that, while trees can also be kept alive to give a little bit of resources every now and then. 

This mechanic is now partly made. I still have to make the instantiating thing and a time system to make "every now and then" mean anything.  Time will probably be one of those main mechanics. There'll be day and night and especially seasons and hence years, because there'll be aging and growing in the game. And winters should be colder than summers, which should make a difference. 

Not sure how to implement that one though, sho we'll have to find out.  For now I'm happy to be working again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment