Pagina's

Sunday 28 July 2019

Mondays after the holiday

Mondays and most particularly this Monday...

Holiday is over and I'm in the bus to the office again. Santorini was great and back home we had record heat with temperatures over 40 degrees in the shade, so that was tough and I did not work on Holocene as much as I would have liked. Now it'll be evenings and weekends anyway, but that's just the way it is.

In my sweaty state, I did make progress in the unit mechanics. There was some refactoring in the way we deal with targets for the units, making is unnecessary to have different targets for resources, units, incomplete buildings and the like. This should make further progress easier.

The main thing is that I started the skeleton of a combat system.  When I have a unit selected and I click on some attackable object, the unit will move there and start dealing damage until the object dies. Then, depending on the type of object it's attacking, it might start gathering resources or find other objects to attack.  That works fine now.

I think I'll have to switch some of the mechanics to another class once I start implementing enemy AI and behaviour that does not depend on user input. I have some ideas about that, but not fleshed out yet. For now, I'm pretty pleased how it's all going and it's not been as difficult as I might have expected... YET.

No comments:

Post a Comment